August 3, 2009

Getting Started - Brooklyn Church Project Internship

Here is a reflection I wrote for the Summer Newsletter of Brooklyn Church Project:



The Call: Excitement fills my heart and mind as I prepare to move to Brooklyn and start the church planting internship. I have experienced much loss recently in my life that has opened my eyes to see the brevity and futility of life in this world. The entire world is crying out for new life. The Christian hope in the resurrection has opened my ears to hear the groans all around me for redemption, and it has renewed me in mission. God has shown me that one place where the groaning of the world is audible to me is the city. Therefore, I have envisioned starting an urban church for the sake of bringing hope for new life.


The Context: Brooklyn needs the hope of the gospel, and I am thrilled that God has called me to Brooklyn to begin the process of training and preparing to start a new church. The amount of diversity in regard to people and experiences and the uniqueness of Brooklyn’s highly populated neighborhoods stir up my sense of mission. Brooklyn has a rich history and God is at work there today.


The Church: The collegiate model of the Brooklyn Church Project deeply resonates with me. Perhaps what I anticipate most about my call to Brooklyn is joining this team of pastors who provide a great amount of support for each other. My philosophy of ministry and approach aligns with the core values of the Brooklyn Church Project, and I look forward to working with the network toward the common goal of planting churches in Brooklyn. May the church celebrate the gospel of Christ in word and deed throughout Brooklyn so that it might be a place that takes hold of the Christian hope.


The Challenge: My family will face many bumps in the road in our move to Brooklyn. The bumps are mainly a result of the transition to daily life in Brooklyn. We have a lot of rust to shake off after being away from city life for two years. Transportation, schools, smaller living space, and playing in the park are among many dynamics of life in Brooklyn that will be an initial challenge for our family. In addition, being away from extended family and having a newborn will also be challenges for my family. We are willing to face the challenges of the transition because mission directs our family life, not comfort or convenience. We are called to daily life in Brooklyn! 


No comments: